2019 is HERE!!!! YAY!!!! I don't know about you, but I feel like 2018 was a blur. It was such an amazing year with tons of growth both personally and business wise. I tend to do what others do during December and over-do EVERYTHING---well mostly eat and shop,but isn't that what life's about? Eating and shopping? Raise your hand if you're with me! When January comes around, I always feel the regret and buyer's remorse from the damage that the holidays caused. My house is overflowing with stuff and so are my jeans! Ha! For example, I swear I have bought 10 denim vests and have worn NONE. Like everyone else, my January is clean out time and new me blah blah blah. I feel like the stress to get everything cleaned out and losing the weight can overwhelm me and puts a damper on my success of achieving the reset that I crave starting the new year. I've decided that the best way to start fresh and be able to successfully achieve my resolutions (ugh, I hate calling them that I'd rather call them goals) is to start with only a handful and work my way through them. I usually am an overachiever and feel underwhelmed if I only set a few goals... I usually set 10 and fail at all of them.. anyone else do this? If you're like me, read on! I have come up with a list of 5 ways to start fresh, hopefully achieve all of my goals, and still be sane.
1. YOU + YOUR PHYSICAL + MENTAL HEALTH - Ever heard the saying "you can't pour from an empty cup." Y'all, if this isn't the truth, I don't know what is. Do something daily for 5 mins -1 hour that focuses on you--read, journal, workout, sit in silence--- whatever but do it for YOU, not your husband, not your kids, not your cute little dog or cat.YOU. You have to be in a healthy mental/physical state in order to be able to serve others! Do something that makes you happy and makes you feel fulfilled.**Here's your reminder to take a big gulp of that bottle of water you have been sipping on for what seems like 12 hours**
2. GET RID OF THE STUFF - What is stuff? Anything that clutters your life. Is it an overflowing pantry? Kid's toys? Too many clothes? Too many Shoes? Get RID OF IT! If you don't reach for it regularly, you probably don't need it. You can do good with it by donating to local shelters.
3. SET ATTAINABLE GOALS - I told you earlier that I am an "overachiever" or overreacher---probably the second defines me best since I rarely finish out anything I start. I always want to have a full list of goals whether it's drinking more water or swearing I'll be up at 5 A.M. to go to the gym every day without missing. Clearly, I have failed at this. Haha. But really, set goals you know you can achieve. So often we set goals without considering real life. No one plans on their 2 year old staying up all night throwing up or oversleeping because you FINALLY were able to turn your brain off at a decent hour. Start with a small list and work yourself through those then set new ones. ANY day is the PERFECT day to START FRESH!
4. BE KIND TO YOURSELF- Probably one of the HARDEST things for me personally. EVERY.SINGLE.DAY. I cut myself down without even thinking about it. I stand in front of the mirror and pick myself apart for 15 minutes before I leave my room or I make the "ugh" sound when I walk past anything that shows my reflection. IF you're like me, STOP IT! LOVE your body. It's the only one you have!! Yes, we all have things we don't love about ourselves, but what about that beautiful smile or those strong arms that carry your kiddo when she/he has walked too long and needs mama?
5. STOP COMPARING YOURSELF TO OTHERS - GAME CHANGER! This may sound so cliche but this is GOLD. If you can achieve this, I feel like you can literally conquer anything and everything in this world. Okay, maybe not but it will get you so far! I'm coming clean and letting you in on a little secret, I struggle with this weekly! The beautiful instagrams and perfect facebook pages really slither their way into my brain and I start the second guessing everything and I start with the "I'm not good enough @ __________" talks to myself. I know it's been said, but I'm going to say it again, you do not see the whole picture, it is a highlight reel into someone else's life! Your circumstances are not the same as someone else's. Your priorities are more than likely not the same as someone else's. Your goals and end game are not the same as someone else's. Remember this!
These are the 5 ways to start fresh in 2019--today, tomorrow, next month, or later in the year, doesn't matter when you start so long as you start sometime. Not every goal for the new year has to be for physical health entirely, but it helps. Hope these help to give you hope and know you are not alone. Most of us do not speak about our failures or flaws, but I'm doing that today for you in hopes that we can ALL improve ourselves! So Cheers to the new year and improving YOU! See ya soon!